Staying healthy on a student budget and more over student lifestyle can be extremely difficult. With most students gaining 10lbs on average in the first year. My god. The most important part of looking after yourself is preparation. If you have healthy options at hand it'll be easier to stay on track.
Pan fried chicken breast, cauliflower and toasted coconut flake rice, toasted tomatoes with fresh spinach and radish.
This meal only cost £2 per plate. If your really efficient, making this in bulk will save energy costs and time. Essentially, DIY ready meals. Pure Genius!
The cauliflower rice is surprisingly rich and creamy, It's a great alternative for rice! A very under valued veg, Cauliflower supports kidney function and lowers blood pressure. 1 serving is also 77% of your daily Vitamin C intake! Which, let's be honest is a much cheaper source of Vit C than oranges! Plus, after a night of heavy drinking.. Cauliflower aids detoxing. (More booze!! Woo!!) Packed with so many other Vits and Minerals, definitely an essential for the shopping list. Mixed with the sweet, yet citrus bursts of the tomatoes and peppered crunch in the Raddish the balance is delicious. The natural fats and indulgence of the avocado thins compliment the rice so well. This meal is paleo, gluten free and dairy free. Easily bulked up and quick to prepare. A keeper in terms of culinary dating.
Chicken, Cauliflower Coconut Rice Recipe
Beautiful pan fried chicken, with tropical coconut cauliflower rice, on a bed on spinch, hot cherry tomatos and creamy avocado.
1 Chicken breast
6 Cauliflower florets
2 teaspoons Coconut flakes
6 Cherry tomatoes
1/2 An Avocado
A Handful of spinach
Teaspoon of pumpkin seeds
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. Toast coconut flakes on one side of a pan on medium heat and pumpkin seeds on other. Once browned, remove and place into a bowl.
2. Pour a teaspoon of olive oil into a pan on medium heat. When hot begin to fry the chicken breast. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
3. Grate all cauliflower into a small bowl. Mix with coconut and serve. (Use a chefs ring to achieve the look)
4. Wash and place spinach and radish onto serving plate.
5. Fry off tomatoes with chicken for last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
6. Half the Avocado, slice keeping the top intact. Fan gently with fingers to decorate.
7. Dish up tomatoes and chicken. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds to serve.